How to Use the Rideau Timescapes App
- Tap "Explore" to bring up a list of canal sites. The list is organized from north to south and shows the distance from your current location to other sites.
- Tap the name of the site you wish to explore. This will launch the map view. Individual images are marked with a red pin. Timescape images are marked with a green pin.
- If you wish to pre-load images tap the + icon to the left of the site name. This action downloads all the images for the site. We recommend you download images while within Wi-Fi range to save data charges.
- Tap "Map" function to display a Google map centred on your current location indicated by a pulsing blue dot. If you are at a canal site the app will drop pins indicating viewable images. If you are not at a canal site, use the "Explore" button to list sites or zoom out to include parts of the Rideau Canal and its lockstations within the map borders.
- Red pins represent single images. Green pins represent Timescapes of multiple images. Tap the "Show Timescapes" button to display only green pins. Tapping it again will display all images. Zooming out the map will group images into clusters of purple pins.
- Tap a red pin to bring up a label and a thumbnail image; tap the label to load single image view.
- Tap a green pin to view a Timescape. The green pin label indicates how many photographs are Timescaped together.
- Tap the circle icon at top right to centre the map at your current location.
- For information on customizing the map view see "Settings" below.
Individual Image View
- In map view, tap on a red pin, and the pin label, to load an image.
- Once the image is loaded you can tap it to load a larger, zoomable view.
- Tap on the "i" icon at top right of the screen to read a short history of the site.
- Tap the "Overlay" button at bottom right to view the historical photograph and your current location at the same time. Can you match the photograph to the site? You can change the transparency of the image with the slider bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Add the image to Favourites by tapping the star icon at the screen's bottom left.
- From the map view, click on a green pin, and the pin label, to load a Timescape
- Use the slider to move from image to image
- Stop at an image to access all of the functions of the single image view
- Set language to English or French by tapping Language setting
- Turn pin thumbnails on/off.
- Change map views from Standard to Hybrid or Satellite.
- Erase the cache to remove any downloaded images from sites
- Reset Timescapes to delete all data, media, and reset settings.